This puzzle is part 1 of the Double feature series. The series will continue in "Double feature: Russian desman".
Rules of Akari (also known as Light Up)1
- Insert light bulbs into any number of empty cells.
- Black cells are walls and cannot contain light bulbs.
- Numbers in black cells indicate how many light bulbs are directly adjacent to that cell (vertically and horizontally).
- A light bulb illuminates its own cell as well as every cell visible from it in all four directions (up/down/right/left), continuing until a wall comes in the way.
- Every white square must be illuminated by at least one light bulb.
- No light bulb may be illuminated by another light bulb.
1 Paraphrased from the original rules on Nikoli.
2. Otherwise heartless woman of Beethoven's dedication (4)
5. Major city identified in articles about John Fogerty's band (5)
7. A major criminal organization? (5)
8. Martial artist striking left and right to draw blood (3)
9. Rating below "unlimited" (3)
11. Chapeau smuggled in chateau (3)
13. 0.0000001% of an iPod (4)
15. Uranium extracted from unopened, rusty pen (3)
16. Primary meal ingredients: mostly soy soup from Japan (4)
17. "Whatever!" – Warhol after losing final bid (3)
19. Disagreements follow key goods being held by third parties (7)
1. Jimmy and Jack – sort of same (5)
3. Some fail at choosing door fastener (5)
4. Force out during surefire victory (5)
5. Enthusiastic interstellar hitchhiker not hurt, amazingly (6)
6. Sri Lanka once got rid of mathematical constant – Number Six, maybe (5)
10. Zealous leader leaving lethargic place (3)
12. In the morning, a space station is out of order (5)
14. One's first impression is what can be heard in 15 across (4)
15. Central Missouri is left bitter (4)
18. Almost double what can be heard in 5 across (3)
Solve both puzzles to answer the question: What are zombies?