Full disclosure: These clues are part of Day 9 of Daniel Peake's Puzzlevent
I am new to Cryptic Crosswords and I'm stuck on a few and would like some hints to solve them (I'm NOT looking for full answers, just nudges to try and help me work them out). I understand that there is often a definition and some lateral thinking involved in these kind of clues but I'm not very good at actually spotting them! I can usually understand how to get from the clue to an answer when I have both though.
The clues I am having trouble with are below, along with a few of my thoughts:
- Construct river bordering six sons
- Bordering may mean that each half is a separate clue and I put one after the other to make a word
- Get worse, remove head and pass
- "Get worse" might be the definition - I need to remove the first letter(s) and maybe anagram the answer?
- Moving duet has note for composition
- Something to do with an anagram of "duet"?
- Remove fish without experience
- A word which I can remove "FISH" (or maybe a specific type of fish) from
- Beginning of working television?
- Question marks often mean lateral thinking
- Alphabetically must fall between "ND..." and "RD..." (one of the additional clues is that the answers are in alphabetical order)
- Fairly sure it starts "ON..." but that relies on my other answers being correct!
- Umpire has Latin law - it's instinct!
- May have something to do with the latin word for law but I can't find a translation
- Alphabetically must fall between "RD..." and "SE..."
- Fairly sure it starts "RE..." but that relies on my other answers being correct!
I also know that all the clues are in alphabetical order and, that clues 1-4 fall alphabetically between "DEN..." and "HA...". I also know that "DEVISE" and "EXPEL" are valid answers but I can't work out which clue they come from.
Any and all help will be much appreciated