The answer to this puzzle is a list of ten thematically related words or proper names or phrases. Each of these is clued cryptically, and the theme is to be determined. Since the definition part of a cryptic clue would give away the theme, these cryptic clues use a family member (e.g., mom, sister) to stand in for the definition part of the clue. So for example, if the theme of the puzzle were chemical elements, "Sister picking at nit" would clue "tin". NOTE: Unlike many previous puzzles in this genre, clues are NOT sorted alphabetically; however, lengths of each answer are given with the clues. I hope you enjoy!
- Mom, racy without seeming forward, to can-can with Auntie (10)
- Sister to dance Brazilian-style, discarding midriff (4)
- Ma's retort harsh, biting head off niece and nephew (10)
- Son mimics giant iguana camouflage (7)
- Dad invested in Hess forward ahead of Saipan oil venture (10)
- Uncle to obtain legal advice, tips after criminal act (7)
- Romantic goodbye (throwing THAT is "face down") after cutting affront to sister (8)
- Romantic goodbye (throwing THAT is "face down") after cutting affront to sister (7)
- Brother shattered our rice pot (6,4)
- Grandpa's direction is to seize leader of violence (5)
Solver Note: I realize the surface of the Schrödinger clue seems a little off, but 1. it's a Schrödinger clue, cut me some slack :-) and 2. there actually is a definition on Urban Dictionary that makes the surface more sensible if significantly less wholesome. I recommend you just take my word for it.