This puzzle is inspired by Matt’s excellent Cryptic Sucrosswordoku.
Below is a sudoku as well as some cryptic clues. The clues lack enumeration and are in no relevant order. The solutions to the clues can be assembled into a path-connected rotationally symmetric crossword inside the sudoku, with each solution beginning in a square whose number is the same as the clue’s enumeration (i.e. the solution's length). Given this information, you should be able to deduce the possible enumerations and the form of the crossword itself. Your job is to assemble the crossword atop the sudoku.
(When stating the solution to the sudoku, briefly describe the strategy you used to find it.)
- An adorable accent
- An individual who returns an angry speech gets even
- A sleigh carries a ring of flowers
- Black sheep escape players
- Do-gooder heads in, down on club
- Fellow with ugly lace put in chains
- Give a mischief-making child a disgusting rat
- Harmonious type of character
- Some strays consumed half-nude lads and lasses in military school
- Star spurns every other character in it
- Starts to laugh oddly in an auditorium so all can hear
- Takes spoils from plenty; receives nothing