Coming back to another Minesweeper challenge...

I've run into another "unsolvable corner" (corner of a puzzle where there isn't enough information to be 100% certain that any particular square that isn't a mine).

Which squares in the below puzzle have the highest chance of being safe, and what are the chances I can fully solve the puzzle based on the clues present? There are 6 mines remaining.



2 Answers 2


Given your current situation, I believe that

You should fill in the two bottom middle boxes as being flags, because they are 100% mines. Then, the top two squares remaining contain at most 1 flag. The chance of guessing a safe square is 50% (see diagram). The three squares in column two that are touching the 4 each have a 1 in 3 chance of being a mine (there is definitely 1 mine somewhere in those three), so the chance of guessing a safe square is 67% (and the chance of being a mine is 33%. The remaining five squares have 2 mines, so there is a 40% chance of guessing the mine and a 60% chance of guessing a safe square.

I would therefore guess that

Take a guess at one of the three squares in column 2 that are touching the 4, that will give you the best odds.



  • $\begingroup$ Ah, my eyes somehow skipped the two ones in the bottom right... $\endgroup$
    – gparyani
    Commented Mar 5, 2019 at 1:13
  • $\begingroup$ How did it go?? @gparyani $\endgroup$
    – El-Guest
    Commented Mar 5, 2019 at 1:42
  • $\begingroup$ @gparyani Doesn't the question also ask for the chance of fully solving the puzzle? $\endgroup$
    – noedne
    Commented Mar 8, 2019 at 3:01
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @gparyani What is the answer? I only see the probability of the first square clicked being a mine. $\endgroup$
    – noedne
    Commented Mar 8, 2019 at 3:04
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @noedne assuming you still care, I have tried to answer the question a little better $\endgroup$
    – Skosh
    Commented Jul 22, 2019 at 17:53

I'm surprised nobody other than noedne thought that the other answer wasn't complete. The question clearly wanted to know the odds of solving the minesweeper puzzle, a non-trivial question even at this size.

There are 60 states the mines can have in this puzzle. First thing to note is that the 50/50 pair at the top of the puzzle is always going to be a 50/50 shot. No clue from the opposite side will shed any light on it. Therefore it makes sense to guess there first because it is possible that we can learn something from it. I choose to click the left cell but it doesn't matter which you pick.

enter image description here

I'm not going over every decision I made, but there are a few places where guessing in the right spot might save you in the right scenario. For example, my second guess was commonly the middle-right cell. It has both better odds and better chances of being informative. I highlighted in yellow a cell that I "clicked" as a guess, but I know this diagram isn't as informative as I might like. If this question wasn't so old, I might have spent more time on the diagram.

Answer is: probability is 13/60 or 21.67% of winning, assuming you use my strategy. I'm fairly certain you can't do better, a formal proof would take too much time (I think).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.