This is NOT a general tag for all puzzles that are somehow indirect. A riddle gives indirect clues about an unnamed object or concept to be identified, often in a poem format.
What is a riddle?
A riddle gives indirect clues towards the identity of an unnamed object or concept, often presented in the form of a poem. The goal of any riddle is to figure out what it is describing. A riddle generally uses metaphors and allegories to conceal the answer.
What makes a good riddle?
- Riddles must be based on calculation and interpretation and not rely on assumption. The answer must be unique and clearly fit all the given clues.
- Riddles must contain enough information and have an unambiguous, clearly correct answer.
- Riddles should be clever and creative. Riddles that are too easy or unimaginative are not fun to solve.
- Users can receive feedback on their riddles by posting them to The Riddle Sandbox before posting to the main site.
How should I try to solve a riddle?
- Analyze the riddle line by line. Note words or sentences that seem out of place.
- Keep a list of possibilities that fit the description the riddle provides and eliminate possible options.
How should I answer the question once I have the solution to the riddle?
- Make sure your solution fully fits the description in the riddle.
- Answer the riddle fully, and provide a detailed explanation. Provide a line-by-line analysis to justify your solution.
- Use spoilers for content that directly relates to the answer. Use plain text in-between spoilers to explain what the reader is to expect.
(Spoilers hide part of a post by placing
>!at the beginning of a line.)
How should I format my post to look like a riddle?
Riddles are often presented as quotes, and we often see users struggling with line breaks, causing all lines to be concatenated. Start each line with a
>and end with two spaces, like this (the underscores indicate the trailing spaces):
> Roses are red__ > Violets are blue__ > Riddles are nice__ > But I don't have a clue.
This renders as follows:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Riddles are nice
But I don't have a clue.