Partial and uncertain answer
I'm not sure exactly how partial, because I'm not sure exactly what the question is asking nor what parts of it are clues to be picked up as opposed to scene-setting. I'm fairly confident that I have the right overall theme, but there are enough things I can't fit in that I won't be astonished if I turn out to be barking up ...
The word is:
1) What is the official language of the Canadian province Quebec?
2) Which is the most abundant metal in the earth's crust?
3) In the South, Hominy when ground is more popularly know as what?
4) Which U.S. state has the longest coastline?
5) Off what country are the islands of Islay, Mull, and St. Kilda located?
6) What nation ...