Pepper, Belle, Emerson, and Ralphie have just competed in POTW’s Annual Bake-Off. Pepper, Belle, Emerson, and Ralphie each came in first, second, third, or fourth in the competition. There were no ties. The baker who came in first placed highest and the baker who came in last placed lowest.
Each baker created a different variety of cookie. One baked ginger snaps, one baked sugar cookies, one baked lemon drops, and one baked peppermint crunch cookies. Each baker also presented their baked goods to the judges on a different coloured plate. One on a white plate, one on a red plate, one on a brown plate, and one on a silver plate.
Using the following clues, determine which baker came in first, second, third, and fourth, which baker baked which variety of cookie, and on which plate they presented their baked goods to the judges.
- The ginger snaps placed higher than the cookies baked by Emerson, but lower than the cookies presented on the brown plate.
- The cookies baked by Pepper placed directly below the sugar cookies.
- The cookies presented on the silver plate placed directly above the cookies presented on the red plate. Belle did not present her cookies on the silver plate.
- The lemon drops were presented on the white plate and did not come in last place.
- Ralphie did not come in third. The cookies presented on the white plate were not baked by Ralphie.
This was a Problem of the Week from the University of Waterloo, Canada, in 2019.