Officer X was entrusted with the duty of investigating a murder. The dead body was found in the living room. Preliminary investigation suggested that four of the six suspects were liars (at least one of each of their statements is a lie). Upon further interrogation, Officer X succeeded in extracting the following responses:
- A: “P and I were in the 2nd bedroom and M was in the bathroom.”
- O: “I agree with A. M was in the bathroom and P in the second bedroom, but A was in the living room.”
- P: “As far as I remember, O and J were in the kitchen and I was in the bathroom.”
- M: “P was in the second bedroom and C was in the bathroom. I saw A in the 1st bedroom.”
- C: “P and J were in the bathroom and O was in the kitchen.”
- J: “M was in the kitchen. P and I were in the second bedroom.”
From these replies Officer X immediately deduced who the murderer was. Who was the murderer and what line of reasoning led him to his conclusion?