Rules of Tents and Trees1
- Place a number of tents into the grid.
- There are exactly as many tents as there are trees.
- Each tent is attached to one tree, which is adjacent to it horizontally or vertically. No tree has more than one tent attached to it, but there may be multiple tents around the same tree as long as each of them is attached to their own unique tree.
- Two tents cannot be adjacent to one another horizontally, vertically or even diagonally.
- The numbers above each column and to the left of each row give the number of tents on that row or column.
3. Arab Republic of Syria is in utterly secret revolution (7)
6. A small one was a giant leap for hamsters? Perhaps the other way around (4)
8. Worried, Simon had to present a warning (8)
9. The one preceding the first of her kind (3)
11. Japanese artist's monologue part (3)
12. Verbally chase away a moccasin, maybe (4)
15. Mother of partially historical leader buried in mausoleum (3)
16. Making a turntable finally play back high-pitched noise (4)
18. Moderator loses right to proceed becoming dictator (4)
19. Man and father destroyed in rampage, leading to violent outburst (4)
20. Energy field's centre protects a small relief (4)
1. Native Americans incorporated a shaved head (5)
2. Between friends, Russell and Ivan regularly ejected from Medvedev's home (4)
4. Influential 1001 Nights originally collected by by American soldier (7)
5. Being upset can elicit initial skin reaction (4)
7. The original, original Van Gogh (4)
10. Science fiction writer's name is never spelled incorrectly (5)
12. Bratwurst – maybe mostly ignored American food (4)
13. Beer and doughnut enthusiast is a writer of some repute (5)
14. Literary Jane's legal successor reported (4)
17. Quiet about the male chromosome's victims (4)
1 Paraphrased from the rules on Cross+A.
Solve both puzzles to answer the question: What does the bookkeeper have many of?