Aaron and his sister Bethany call the police when their live in Grandmother, Candice, failed to get up for breakfast. She was old and ill, and they feared the worst-- especially then they were unable to get into her room! The police break down the door, shattering it in two. Candice is dead, poisoned! The police find
- 8 locks on the door installed by Candice, all of which appeared to be bolted
- a glass of water by the bedside table, half full
- a bottle of heart failure medicine (slow release capsule form)
- The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie, cover torn violently. It now reads "The BC by Agatha hristie"
Forensics find the following:
- Candice died from the poison sometime in the night, around 1 AM.
- No poison in the water.
- No poison in the remaining pills.
- No needle marks.
- No poison on the book, and she wasn't licking it anyway :P
- The poison would've acted quickly, once the lethal dose was absorbed by her system, she would have died in 15 minutes.
- Pathologists do not suspect suicide. In her condition, if she wanted death, all she had to do was stop taking the pills and go to sleep. She'd never wake.
According to interviews:
- Aaron and Bethany confirm that Candice shut herself in at 8 pm. They remained in each other's sight until they turned in at 10.
- Aaron stands to inherit a large fortune. Bethany stands to inherit a small amount by comparison
- Aaron and Candice were getting into arguments, and she began to distrust him. Candice wanted Bethany to pick up her prescriptions, but she was too busy, so Aaron was forced to do it.
- According to her Doctor, Candice knew her life depended on the pills. She did ask that, should life become unbearable, if she would be able to go quietly if she stopped her pills. He said yes.
But! When the will was read... Aaron actually inherited nothing! Candice changed her will last week! Bethany still got her share, but the bulk went to a long estranged nephew living in Ireland! Irish authorities confirm that he has been in Ireland for the past 6 months.
Who murdered Candice, and how?
There is only one murderer, and Candice figured it out as she was dying. Did she find a way to tell us?
You will not need anything outside the lists to solve the puzzle. I play fair. No one turns out to be a fish or have a high powered sniper poison dispensing rifle :P
Hint 3 -- A big hint
The will change is a clue as to HOW the murder was committed, not who. Agatha Christie is a very intentional reference. The Columbo episode Try and Catch Me also may help you solve this case. If you're familiar with the plot, then you should know what Edmund did. Everything he did.