Police receive a 911 call from Adam's neighbor, Bob. Bob heard a gunshot! The Police rush over to Adam and Bob's apartment building. The land lord, Charlie, shows the police to Adam's room. The door is locked! The police demand Charlie's keys. Charlie hands them over, reluctant to part with his keys. The door swings open freely now, and lo! Adam is dead! Shot through the heart, and who's to blame? The police know it's murder because the gun used to shoot him is on the floor, far away from Adam. Here's a list of what the police found:
- The gun. Forensics confirm, this is the murder weapon.
- The chain latch to the door. It seems the door was bolted from the inside.
- Adam's keys to his apartment. Only one other key exists, and it's Charlie's.
- A burning fire in the fire place, with burn marks on the floor outside it.
- Documents in the fire.
- The silencer for the gun! Hidden in the sink pipe.
The police review the security footage. Adam's door is not visible in frame, but it's the only apartment not visible. There is also a fire escape not visible in frame, but the alarm did not sound. Only three people go to Adam's apartment on the day of the murder, Bob, Charlie, and Adam's soon to be ex-wife, Nicole.
- 9:58 AM: Bob goes to visit Adam.
- 10:12 AM: Bob leaves Adam's apartment and goes to his own.
- 10:45 AM: Nicole visits Adam.
- 11:02 AM: Nicole leaves Adam's and visits Charlie's.
- 12:04 AM: Nicole leaves Charlie's. Her shirt is now on backwards.
- 12:15 AM: Charlie goes to Adam's.
- 12:20 AM: Charlie leaves Adam's.
- 12:24 AM: BANG!
When the police interviewed Bob, Bob said that Adam was in good spirits because his divorce case was about to get better. He'd found hard evidence of Nicole's cheating. Nicole said that she and Adam argued over who should get the Tesla. She said that Charlie helped her calm down with cookies and watching Avatar the Last Airbender. Charlie said Nicole was upset about the Tesla, and he helped her calm down with cookies. Charlie also said that when he went to Adam's, he knocked, but heard no response. He tried to calm him down by talking through the door for a while.
Who murdered Adam and how?
They key to the whole case is in the first paragraph and first list. If everything in the first paragraph is true (which it is), then there is an item in the first list which should not be there. The truth will set you free!
The sound heard by Bob which was audible over the CCTV (12:24: BANG!), was NOT a silenced gunshot. In fact, police were surprised to have found a silencer at all. The clue to what made the sound is in the first list.