Detectives Kirk and Singh were looking at the crime scene where Ken Dobbs lay dead on the ground. They were certain that it was a murder because of the stab wounds and the blood all over the crime scene. There was no murder weapon.
Dobbs was one of the 2 owners of the contracting firm D & I (Dobbs and Irwin). Ken Dobbs was killed in the office and was found almost simultaneously by his partner Daniel and the executive assistant Chris when they showed up for work around 9 AM. It was also interesting to the detectives that a disgruntled customer Tommy Wilson also showed up just after 9. To complete the suspect list Ken’s ex-wife Trish had left several hateful messages on his voice mail regarding alimony payments and child custody. The detectives also found a blood splattered business card of D&I in Dobbs’ hand on which he seemed to have scribbled a few letters before he died.
After talking to all the Persons of Interest, the detectives summarized their findings as below:
• Dobbs was murdered between 8 and 9 AM that day
• Chris was having an affair with Dobbs but recently they had a bad break up
• The firm was having financial issues and Irwin blamed most of them on Dobbs’ crazy spending habits.
• Tommy had several public rows with Dobbs because he did not finish the bathroom remodel job. Tommy claimed that Dobbs and the firm owed him 5K$
• All except Tommy lived within 1 mile of the office. Tommy said he took the bus this morning which was a 1 hour ride. He showed a ticket punched at 8:10 AM that day departure time. This was verified.
• Nobody else had alibi.
The detectives concluded that Dobbs knew his killer and tried to write it down on the business card. Kirk suspected Tommy but Singh was not sure.
Who did it?