This morning at 10am, Professor Eyebright was found laying on the floor in his dining room in a pool of his own blood. Unfortunately, he had expired during the night.
The police have five suspects:
- The wife Terry Eyebright, of course;
- Their son Thomas Jr.;
- Harry, Their neighbor who was the one who called the police;
- Timothy, a graduate student who was his assistant; and
- Mary, the maid.
The reasons for suspicion include the following:
- The wife was heard arguing with her husband the day before about Timothy's position. She was not happy to have a live-in graduate assistant even though he was the best in the class and was so valuable to the Professor that he was about to get a promotion.
- Thomas Jr. was in his room supposedly sleeping at the time of the murder.
- Harry had a history of aggressive behavior, but had never gotten in trouble with the law.
- Mary was very kind, although she had a proclivity toward taking various household trinkets; Terry had previously decided to let the matter go and keep her employed.
The only clues to who murdered the professor were as follows:
- Nearby was a broken lamp which was clearly the murder weapon;
- The professor's face was covered in blood and his eyes were also covered in blood;
- The professor's eyeglasses were found smashed nearby;
- And written in blood was a message that appeared to be the word "HI" with an arrow pointing to himself.
This cryptic message baffled the crime scene investigators, but they took a picture of it and posted it online, hoping that someone could solve this riddle to lead to the killer.
Using only the clues and information given in the riddle (there are no tricks or unmentioned people), who killed Professor Eyebright, and why? And what does the message written in blood mean?
All clues under "The only clues to who..." are directly or indirectly relevant. All point to the answer of how to solve.
Without the included picture it would be way harder to solve.
Someone asked if it was Harry's initials. Harry's last name is Naborsen. However, I can tell you that this is a cold path. Try another avenue, although I can't say if the killer is Harry or not. It may be, it may not be.
When solved, the killer will be obvious. Look hard at the clues. It will take some creative thinking/work to solve.