Halloween chess begins in the usual starting position, except most of the pieces are replaced with "fairy chess" pieces... or maybe we should say "ghoulish chess" pieces... The new types are:
- It lumbers one step forward like a pawn (no initial double step).
- If it winds up on the last rank, it does not promote, it just sits there and makes zombie noises.
- Instead of capturing, it zombifies: it can transform an enemy piece sitting one step diagonally in front of it into a friendly zombie pawn
Zombie king: similar idea. It lumbers one step in any direction like a king, but instead of capturing, it can zombify a piece one step away (even if on the first or last rank).
- It has a human form and a bat form
- In human form, moves and captures like a queen.
- In bat form, it moves like a knight but cannot capture, or be captured (or zombified).
- Switching between forms uses up a move.
So, take the usual setup, replace the knights with vampires in bat form, the queen with a vampire in human form, the pawns with zombie pawns, and the king with a zombie king.
Winning is by checkmating the zombie king.
I'll let you play white. What's your move?
Isn't there something ... eerie ... about this game?
Okay hint 2 wasn't actually helpful :-) Seriously though, isn't something wrong with this game?