My "friend" (who has absolutely too much time on his hands) made me a DIY Scrabble™ board. He's nice like that. He cut, sanded, painted and even routed out little cradles for the letter tiles.
Oh yeah, and he made letter tiles!
He left it for me as you see below, all filled in and scored on a scoring sheet. I noticed that the letter tiles had no values on them and examined the scoring sheet.
"Gadzooks and Whilakers! Bring me my head gear," I called, oozing masculinity, to my stunning, imaginary wife. "This must be some kind of puzzle for me to solve!"
- Pink spots are double-word scores
- Red spots are triple-word scores
- Cyan and Blue respectively get double- and triple-letter scores.
- Simultaneous word multipliers get applied in succession
- Tiles that are already on the board which are used to make a new word (indicated by parentheses on the score sheet) get their unadulterated score (no letter- or word-multipliers are applied)
- Unlike normal Scrabble™, no bonus is applied for using 7 tiles in one turn.
Knowing my friend as intimately as I do, he probably wants me to discover the following:
What are the values for each† of the letters?
What rule was used as the basis for assigning value to each letter?
Super-Secret Hidden BONUS: (2 words)
1. STEIN 42 16. DI(M) 48 2. (S)HRIMP 36 17. (P)ARA(NORMAL) 60 3. (P)AT 16 18. (D)EL 18 4. PLA(T)INUM 270 19. (L)EAVE 42 5. (U)NITS 46 20. E(N) 9 6. NITROU(S) 94 21. CO(P)PER 43 7. (N)ORMAL 36 22. REA(C)TION 43 8. (M)END 22 23. TAB(L)E 45 9. TAUGH(T) 26 24. DIAGRA(M) 104 10. (T)AP 14 25. (A)CTIVE 30 11. EUREK(A) 72 26. ARS(E)NIC 123 12. (R)ARE 22 27. (E)LECTRON 71 13. APT (AE) 22 28. (T)ONGUE 86 14. TRE(E) 35 29. (TONGUES)STUN 67 15. MEE(T) 22 30. (G)ALAXY 86 31. ZINC(Y) 93
† The letters F,J,Q,W are not on the board, but their values must be determined for a complete solution.