Let me introduce you to a game I invented called Wordmorph K (WmK). You may have played a variation of this game in the past.
1) The objective is to transform the "Start Word" to the "Finish Word" in the fewest steps. Your final score is the total number of steps taken. To win this game, you must get a score that is less than or equal to my "K Score".
2) In each step, you may do one of the following:
Substitute a letter (man -> men)
Add a letter (man -> mean)
Remove a letter (men -> me)
Anagram the word (team -> mate)
3) The result at each step must be a playable English word (explained below). If the word at a particular step is not common knowledge, the player is expected to provide the definition.
4) A word is considered valid English if and only if it has an entry on the “Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary.” This rule is without exception.
5) A playable word must NOT:
have an apostrophe or hyphen (including affixes & combining forms)
have a numerical digit
have a diacritic
A playable word MAY:
be a variant/archaic spelling, proper noun, abbreviation, acronym, archaic/obsolete, slang, vulgar/offensive, specialized jargon, foreign, etc so long as it meets Rule #4.
have periods, if at the end of an abbreviation or at the end of every letter of an acronym.
have any form of capitalization.
Are you ready to give it a go?
Start Word: LIFE
Finish Word: FOWL
K Score: 3