Solve the following equations by converting to standard form (see below):
** eeeeee = aeeeeiiiouu
** eeeeee = aeeeoouuu
-/ eeeo = i
*- eeooo = eeee
/ aeiou = aeeioouu
/+/ eiiiiii = eo
This is essentially a cross between a math puzzle and a word puzzle. I'll explain how this works by going backwards from a solution.
- Start with an elementary equation:
- In English, this can be written:
- Remove all consonants:
aeiouare the only vowels wrt this puzzle)
- Move vowels to the end of each side of the
+* eeooo = ee
Again, you're going the other way; you are given form
4. above, and expected to find form
That is, the answer to:
+* eeooo = ee
Rules followed by the puzzle format:
- Multiplication (
*) and division (
/) collectively are performed left to right.
- Addition (
+) and subtraction (
-) are then performed left to right in a similar manner.
- All operands are positive integers.
- All intermediate results are also positive integers.
2/4*2will never appear in a solution because
2/4is performed first, and this is not a positive integer.
3-4+5will not appear because
3-4is not a positive integer.
- Numbers are in formal American English form.
Briefly, don't use the article "a" or the conjunction "and" in number names;
one hundred one.
- Per the rules of this puzzle, answers that commute into each other (to form the same operator set) are considered equivalent.
For example, if
j*k+l*mworks for some
l*m+k*jis considered the same answer.
- Notwithstanding the above equivalence principle, the solution to all challenge problems is unique.