I thought of this lateral thinking puzzle. Hopefully, it's not too broad and hasn't been asked before.
A man walks into a store, buys an item for $1, and throws it away along with the receipt on his way out. What item did he buy?
- His decision to throw the item away on his way out was completely justified.
- He did not put anything in his mouth between buying the item and throwing it away.
EDIT: To make this question less broad, here are some notes that I should've had in the beginning:
- He bought the item because he wanted the item.
- "Throw away" means he put the item and the receipt in the trash can.
- The item was reasonably priced at 1 USD in 2018.
- He threw the item away because his perception of the item's intrinsic value changed.