Below are nine ordered groups of words and phrases. Use common sense to solve the first eight. This should then tell you how to continue with the last group.
- objective; break; happening at night; friend; dominant; not fake; stamp; beacon; complete
- not before; personality; go in; trash; half of a half; enroll; male chicken; H2O
- x or y, e.g.; set off; give away; dispose of; lucky; baby; finish
- ammunition; cottage; fjord; brochure; lavatory; V in ROYGBIV
- catastrophes; main office; Harry and Beatrix, e.g.; female siblings; authors
- remote; concerning this; evidence; parody
- something giving stability/balance; explosion; image-breaker
- disappeared; 14 pounds
- customs of a society
P.S.: A clue may be provided later, but not before you've found the solution.