Each of these sentences contain two phrases¹ that follow a particular theme:
- The muffler fell off on the outside lane.
- It was a homely semi.
- Would you like some lemonade with your flapjack?
- She dropped her purse in the toilet.
- Mike ordered a pint of cider.
- Dennis the Menace was a popular comic in Birmingham.
- The bathroom is on the first floor.
Can you work out the theme and find all the phrases?
¹ phrase = one or more words
11× one-word phrases
2× two-word phrases
1× three-word phrase
Post-answer summary (spoilers!)
One thing I enjoyed when writing this was knowing that people would have pictured contrasting scenarios. I worded each sentence so that they work in either context. I found it interesting that "homely semi" has not only a vastly different noun, but pretty much a polar opposite adjective.
I also found it odd that both Dennis the Menace comics debuted not only the same year, or the same month, but the same day: 12th March 1951!