are were might still be a sea captain.
On the 14th of December, 1214, your sailors rebelled. 6 sailors and your first mate get in a boat to row you to what they believe is an abandoned island. Before leaving to return to the ship, however, your first mate decide to give you one last chance. You are given the following information:
- The sailors are divided into 3 categories:
- Liars (Sailors who always lie)
- Truth tellers (Sailors who always tell the truth)
- Unfortunate in-betweens (Sailors who tell the truth or lie at their will or randomly)
- 2 of the sailors are liars
- 2 of the sailors are in-betweens
- 2 of the sailors are truth tellers
- The sailors are then divided into 2 groups:
- One liar, one truth teller, and one in-between
- One liar (this one led the mutiny), one truth teller, and one in-between
- The sailors know who led the mutiny and who fits in what category (liars, truth-tellers, in-betweeners)
The first mate then tells you that you are allowed to ask all three of the sailors in the first group one yes/no question each only about sailors in their group. You may then select one of the three and ask him one yes/no question about the sailors in the second group.
You may then ask one of the sailors in the second group one yes/no question about any of the sailors in his own group, after which you must determine who led the mutiny.
If you guess correctly, they will restore you as captain of the ship. If you guess incorrectly, they will leave you to die on this abandoned island.
How can you determine who started the mutiny?
N.B.: Yes, it is solvable - I've gone through the solution 4 times to make sure it works. :)