IMPORTANT! READ ME:
- The only 'puzzle' parts of this are the links, titled 'Set X', 'Inscription X', or 'Constellation X'. Everything else is flavortext, apart from this readme section, although the flavortext does tell you that the meaning of the inscriptions is not supposed to be deduced until you have finished everything else.
- DO NOT even LOOK at the links out of order. They have been placed in this order in order to make the solving experience as interesting as possible.
- DO NOT move on from a set until you have solved all 5 puzzles in that set, and have ensured that your interpretation of the rules arrives at a unique solution for all 5.
- Every puzzle has a unique solution. If you believe you have found a puzzle which does not have a unique solution, or has no solutions, please comment on this post and I will see if it needs to be fixed.
- No puzzle arrives in a solved state. There is always a distinct SOLUTION that must be input into each puzzle.
- The mechanics and meanings are one hundred percent consistent, even between sets.
- These are plain grid-deduction puzzles, apart from the fact you must work out the mechanics yourself. Once you know the meanings, they are simply pen-paper puzzles in the vein of Japanese puzzles such as Sudoku, Hashi, Nurikabe, Slitherlink, etc.
- Feel free to post partials, but SPOILER everything please!
- Do not read spoilers unless you have really given up.
The old monk sips quietly from his tea, before placing the cup beside him on the floor.
'So, you wish to climb the Witless Mountain?'
'I am too weak, now, to come with you to the summit. But I can guide you some of the way.' He picks up his staff, and leads the way into the snowstorm, away from the shelter of his shack.
The summit looks so distant - the climb will not be easy.
The snow falls with a certain ferocity, sparkling white pricks appearing on the robe hugged tight against the monk's body.
'Do you see the rockface right up ahead?' His voice is barely audible over the wind.
'That's your first challenge.'
On the black cliffside, a giant set of shapes and symbols are carved:
A few minutes pass.
'I think I understand.'
The monk smiles. 'Very well. Let us continue.'
A second rockface rises around the corner.
The monk ushers you along as soon as he sees that the puzzles have been understood.
'It is getting cold. I think this is as far as I can go. I will leave you here.'
'Hang on, aren't you going to tell me what THIS is?'
On the third rockface, a huge row of symbols glows blue beneath the puzzles.
'Ah. You want to know what the blue inscriptions mean?' He laughs wryly. 'You'll be seeing a few of those. I wouldn't worry about them now, if I were you. They're something to think about on the return journey.'
With that, he begins making his way back down the path.
You're on your own, now.
The peak is so close...
The final climb awaits.
It is dark, now, and as you look up into the sky, the stars begin to shine...
The visions fade, and you return to your senses. You look back down the mountain, past the cliffs, to the gently glowing image of the monk's shack far below. You laugh, recalling his last piece of advice -
And begin the journey down.
EDIT: All 12 sets and constellations have been solved. No inscription solutions have been posted yet - the bounty is for whomever solves the most inscription puzzles!
EDIT 2: Inscription 5 has been taken down for maintenance, sorry to all those who have spent a while on it!