This is in the spirit of the What is a Word/Phrase™ series started by JLee with a special brand of Phrase™ and Word™ puzzles.

If a word has a certain property, I call it a Right-wing Word™.

You can use the examples below to find the property:

$$\begin{array}{|c|c|} \hline \textbf{Right-wing Words™}&\textbf{Not Right-wing Words™}\\ \hline \text{ARM}&\text{HAND}\\ \hline \text{BUMP}&\text{JERK}\\ \hline \text{SECT}&\text{CASTE}\\ \hline \text{CHILL}&\text{WARMTH}\\ \hline \text{ACT}&\text{REAL}\\ \hline \text{CRIMP}&\text{CURL}\\ \hline \text{SWIM}&\text{DIVE}\\ \hline \text{DRILL}&\text{PUNCH}\\ \hline \text{KILL}&\text{MURDER}\\ \hline \text{ASSERT}&\text{HIDE}\\ \hline \text{SERUM}&\text{PILL}\\ \hline \hline \text{JUMP*}&\text{LEAP}\\ \hline \end{array} $$

For those without MathJax, or if you want to pop this into a spreadsheet, here is a CSV version:

Right-wing™,Not Right-wing™
   *- Only just a Right-Wing Word 

P.S. my first puzzle. So, Do give your views.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Your keyboard is nonstandard. $\endgroup$
    – Joshua
    Commented Sep 26, 2016 at 3:53

1 Answer 1


A Right-wing™ word is a word ...

which can be typed on the keyboard from left to right. Each character is either in the same column or to the right of the previous character.

PS: my first answer here ;-)

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ I would think CRIMP is problematic. But maybe it is just circumstantial. Especially, since JUMP is barely a Right-wing word (see OP's comment). $\endgroup$
    – Matsmath
    Commented Sep 25, 2016 at 18:03
  • $\begingroup$ @Matsmath Why? C and R are in the same column, as are I and M (at least on my keyboard). $\endgroup$ Commented Sep 25, 2016 at 18:05
  • $\begingroup$ @randal'thor because J-U-M are in the same column (see layout). $\endgroup$
    – Matsmath
    Commented Sep 25, 2016 at 18:07
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @Matsmath I think the definition of a column can be hard to define. In this case the columns are probably QA, WSZ, EDX, RFC, TGV, YHB, UJN, IKM, OL, P $\endgroup$
    – Ivo
    Commented Sep 25, 2016 at 19:23
  • $\begingroup$ @IvoBeckers: On mechanical typewriters, the key levers are equally spaced in a linear row, but the levers have four different lengths to accommodate the four rows of the keypad (the shortest levers are for keys in the top row, and the longest are for keys in the bottom row), so the ordering of keys is unambiguous. I'm not sure how well known actual typewriters are, these days. $\endgroup$
    – supercat
    Commented Sep 26, 2016 at 6:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.