Part 1: 2 and a half months ago, an old mansion, people are falling sick for no apparent reason. You, a PI, have been dispatched to go and figure out what is happening.
It's a snowy day in the middle of winter as you arrive at the mansion. The butler greets you, and leads you into the main hall. There's a fire in the fireplace, and 13 sick people laying on the floor, side by side resting, like so:
____________________________________________ | Fireplace | | Person Person | | Person Person | | Person Person | | Person Person | | Person Person | | Person Person | | Person | |------------------Door--------------------| (Picture not to scale)
Those who are the most sick have been placed closest to the fireplace, giving them more warmth. The butler informs you that the furnace at the mansion has been broken for 3 months, and as such the main hall is the warmest place in the entire mansion.
Some additional facts you obtained by asking questions:
- Everyone started showing symptoms while in the main hall
- Other than occasionally taking care of the sick, the butler spends most of his time outside of the main hall
- Everyone who stayed in the main hall for extended periods of time eventually started showing symptoms of the sickness.
- After everyone got sick, and the initial positions decided, people were never moved from their original positions.
- The food and drink in the area is perfect, and is not contaminated in any way shape or form.
- The furnishing of the mansion (furniture, placement of furniture, etc) has not been changed for years
Symptoms of the sickness:
- irritated eyes, throat, sinuses
- shortness of breath
What is the cause of the sickness?
Part 2: Assuming you've solved part 1 properly, insert the answer you got for part 1 into the ________ spot in order to solve this part.
The master of the mansion you saved a while back has recently taken a liking to riddles and famous paintings. Being the greedy rich [insert bad word here] that he is, he bought some very expensive paintings, and has challenged you to solve a riddle as well. But of course, he has to brag about his paintings first, so he shows you around the mansion and shows you 4 paintings.
He hands you a double A battery, and an envelope. On the front, it says, "Put _____ into a Playfair Cipher. Idcwsfew Denjwe"
You open up the envelope, and pull out the riddle inside.
Out of Time, Out of Place Zfmrk lxgav ta jjerziak py jbqve odcnj hjkywwa wtj dpyj Drxmbjscw jxbkko - wbfwfjf lbrk i avpvj Jrzdwd thdmwke rc xdj cfazpyw gd sgffmala Zmw Lmhw omx cbhry mba jfmbfzi wg ogwj p sgdfxzyd Fdlrk Lklxd Jblr Orjr, Htpfgwimfq Wyhoe Yqbkypde Xgx Ydgj juqdw zqa apsxbmj, imi wx yv exb gxw Kfzhe milr airajhw, ljf sqcyys bhs vclyjgiiw Idka rnjh hvda, mjypej vomfo hpniub Jamj vwybw, rqafm pfzav, Npf Kxwk pklaem'w lrbu hpve, udpgt! Omzr bx Y?