This is a lateral thinking puzzle based on my real life:
Earlier this evening I got into an empty elevator, pressed a button for a floor, and walked out before the door closed.
- I wasn't being silly or pranking anyone; my action served a purpose and all its components (getting in the elevator, pressing the floor button, and getting out before it left) were necessary to achieve that purpose.
- I did not have a partner, nor was my action intended to assist any other person.
- I was not engaging in repair or maintenance of the elevator, nor attempting to test its operation for any reason, in fact this scenario has nothing to do with my job.
- This has nothing to do with trying to get exercise
- just to reiterate, the elevator was empty, of both people and objects.
- I took this action deliberately, and was not attempting to correct a mistake.
I'll answer specific questions in the comments. Upvotes for incorrect answers that are plausible under the circumstances, but only a really awesome one (or the correct one) will be accepted.
Edit: though I call this a lateral thinking puzzle, it doesn't use any of the trickery that those puzzles sometimes use. The information I've given can be taken at face value, I just haven't given you all of the information.
Edit 2: So I'm new to Puzzling.se and I'm not sure what the protocol is in cases like this as far as how long to wait before posting the actual answer, unless I hear otherwise, I'll wait a week.