You're enjoying a Saturday morning, making a cup of tea to start the day. Just as you've finished pouring the boiling water into your teacup, you hear a knock at the door. If you like your tea with milk and as hot as possible. Should you:
- add the milk now or
- add the milk after you return from answering the door?
In either case the teacup will sit on the counter and the milk jug will sit in the fridge. Which will result in the hottest cup of tea?
- The amount of milk added is the same in both cases.
- The amount of water that escapes as steam is negligible.
- The temperature of the water is greater than the room temperature.
- The temperature of the room is greater than the fridge temperature.