On a table there are three cups and one banknote (a dollar bill will do). These are the only objects you may use, with the goal of placing one of the cups, upright, above the other two, without any of the cups touching another cup. The cups must be upright at all times.
There's nothing special about the bill; it will bend if you suspend it between two cups and place the third on top of it.
There are at least three very different solutions to this problem!
No lame tricks:
- there is gravity
- the cups are of regular weight; correct solutions can even support tumblers or shot glasses
- the bill is a regular bill, such as a $1 bill
- there's nothing in the cups
- can't use any other objects or external support (e.g. holding the cup in someone's hand)
- can't melt or otherwise dramatically alter the cups (think "glasses" instead)