your task is to cut this pie (shown below) into seven equal parts.
What equal means by is size and shape
you have only one knife of length equal to cakes diameter and a scale to measure W and D but nothing else
Edit : Also there should be nothing of cake that that is wasted/eaten
It's not possible to cut a circle into 7 pieces using geometric methods: Is it possible to divide a circle into 7 equial pizza slices..., unless you allow Neusis construction; see Heptagon for details on constructing a Heptagon, which can be overlaid on the pie and used to guide the slicing.
The only good solution that avoids geometry is the height-based slicing, as suggested by Anon.
Here is my solution.
You find the midway point of the radius of the cake. From there you would take a straight line across it from one side of the circle to the other. Then measure the distance from that midway point to the edge of the cake on this cross-section. Divide that in half. You now have the length you mark for the edge of each slice. Start at a point and measure out the length you got and make a mark. Do this until you have all seven slices.
Eight easy steps:
- Make incision marks around the perimeter as for it being cut into 8.
- Then take one of the 8th pieces, and guessage it into 7 divisions.
- Then cut the first slice according to a Sixth+theSeventhOfTheSixth.
- Once cut down both sides to the centre, take it and lay it on top of the next slice you want to cut.
- Make a deep cut.
- Rinse and repeat until you've marked out the whole circle.
- Cut into seven.
- Send me money.