All You Zombies is a short story by Robert Heinlein, which outlines a rather bizarre time travel paradox. Here is an outline of the paradox with a few key moments missing.
- Jane is dropped off at an orphanage in 1945.
- Jane grows up lonely and dejected not knowing who her parents are.
- In 1963, Jane falls in love with a drifter, becomes pregnant with his child. The drifter disappears immediately thereafter.
- During childbirth, there are complications. The doctor discovers ___________, and in order to save Jane's life, the doctor ____________.
- A few weeks later, Jane's baby (A healthy baby girl) is kidnapped from the hospital.
- Losing ones parents, lover and only child has a devastating effect on Jane. Scorned by fate, Jane rejects society and becomes a drunkard.
- In 1970, Jane stumbles into a bar, and tells the sad tale to a sympathetic bartender.
- The bartender, who is a respected member of the time-travelling guild, offers Jane a chance to seek revenge on the drifter who ruined Jane's life.
- The bartender takes Jane back to 1963, where Jane ______________.
- The bartender hops forward in time _______(length of time), and __________.
- The bartender returns to 1963 and picks Jane up. The two of them return to 1970.
Fill in all the blanks (So that there is a paradox) and answer the following questions:
- What becomes of Jane after 1970?
- What is the paradox?
The 4th blank is: 9 months
NOTE: If you are familiar with the paradox or have read the short story, don't answer the question right away.. Not much of a puzzle if you know the paradox.