This is part 40 of the puzzle series Around the World in Many Days. Each part is solvable on its own.
The puzzle on the left-hand side is a regional Yajilin. Shade some cells in the grid. Two shaded cells cannot share an edge, but can touch at a corner. Then draw a single loop, going horizontally and vertically through centres of cells, which visits every unshaded cell and none of the shaded cells. The loop cannot cross itself or branch out. A number in the top-left corner of a cage marked with dotted lines indicates how many shaded cells are inside the cage. There can be shaded cells that are not inside any cage.
In the crossword on the right-hand side, each clue is actually two separate clues written one after the other. In other words, it is possible to divide the clue somewhere in the middle into two parts, with two distinct answers. For example, if the clue is “Tropical tree house guest”, the divider could be placed between “tree” and “house”, creating the clues “Tropical tree” = PALM and “House guest” = VISITOR. One of the answers is the correct answer which fits into the grid; the other answer is something else entirely, and must be ignored when filling the grid.
Today I have watched a stunning sunset at a desert area which has been the site of some historic discoveries. Can you guess where I am?
1. For example, Thomas Magnum near the stern
4. Native American comedian Louis
7. Non-fossil-fuel-using automobile fit for a king
9. Seasoned actor George Clooney played in this series
10. Burn 1024 coulombs per volt
13. Psittirostra psittacea, bird that has disappeared in Hawaii city air that's badly polluted
14. Right-wing extremist news outlet controlled by the Russian state
17. They built Machu Picchu at an altitude of 7,970 feet (100 cubic decimetres)
18. Yuletide character actress Dee Wallace had a major role in this film
19. Lawrence of Arabia – a red carpet event
1. For example, painting site hosted in Bucharest might end like this
2. State of high temperature where the Top End is located
3. Male thespian Arquette in Boyhood
4. Behold, a gift from the heavens!
5. Author of the opening comment belonging to you and me
6. Leave coastal waterway
8. Cozy home
10. Non-dangerous city in Queensland
11. Utter the opposite of "hi"
12. Seemingly American fashion house (2 wds.)
15. 100% of the Packers play in this state
16. Direction of Nicaragua from Belize, the "land of the free"
Gladys will return in Colourful Scenery.