For which n is it possible to split all the integers 1, 2, 3, ..., n into two non-empty disjoint sets such that the product of the sum of the elements in one set and that of those in the other is a perfect square?

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Problem 4 in the recent XXXVI Olimpiada Iberoamericana de Matemáticas in Costa Rica asked to show that 2021 is one such n. $\endgroup$ Oct 24, 2021 at 14:39

2 Answers 2


It is easy to see that any two-way split S=A+B of the sum S=1+..+n=n(n+1)/2 can be achieved by forming two disjoint subsets. Let A=ac,B=bc with a,b relatively prime AB is a perfect square precisely if a and b are. Therefore

n has the desird property if and only if S has a divisor that is a sum of two squares.

By the

Sum of two squares theorem

this will be the case

iff S has at least one prime factor that is not congruent 3 mod 4.

Technical subtlety:

The theorem doesn't rule out even powers of primes of the form 4k+3 but that is only because it allows sums where one term is zero.

  • $\begingroup$ I also come up with this solution but I'm still unsure about the first statement: why a and b must be relatively prime? Can c be any integer? $\endgroup$
    – athin
    Oct 25, 2021 at 3:22
  • $\begingroup$ Precisely, rot13(jul F zhfg unir n snpgbe juvpu vf n fhz bs gjb fdhnerf) i.e. your first spoiler? Shouldn't it be "if" instead of "if and only if"? $\endgroup$
    – athin
    Oct 25, 2021 at 3:26
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @athin c is chosen to be the GCD of A and B.other question: 'Orpnhfr F=p(n+o) naq n naq o ner fdhnerf.' $\endgroup$
    – loopy walt
    Oct 25, 2021 at 3:41

Very partial answer:

It is possible for $n=3: [(1,2); (3)]$, for $n=4: [(1); (2,3,4)]$, for $n=5: [(1,2); (3,4,5)]$. I suspect it is possible for all $n \geq 3$, but cannot prove it.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.