What is the next term in the following sequence based on Harry Potter?
None, 16, None, 16, 5, 9, ?
Puzzling Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for those who create, solve, and study puzzles. It only takes a minute to sign up.Sign up to join this community
The next term in the sequence is:
These are the chapter numbers which share their name with the part of the book title that follows 'Harry Potter and...' (in order of the books' publication):
Book 1 - none: no chapter called 'The Philosopher's Stone';
Book 2 - Chapter 16: 'The Chamber of Secrets';
Book 3 - none: no chapter called 'The Prisoner of Azkaban';
Book 4 - Chapter 16: 'The Goblet of Fire';
Book 5 - Chapter 5: 'The Order of the Phoenix';
Book 6 - Chapter 9: 'The Half-Blood Prince';
Book 7 - Chapter 22: 'The Deathly Hallows'.
EDIT: Since some commenters wish to understand the thought process behind my solving this puzzle, here's roughly how I approached it:
1) There are 7 terms in the sequence, and there are 7 HP books - let's assume that each term in the sequence maps to one of the books...
2) Why are the two null entries written as 'None' rather than '0'? This probably means we're not counting something, otherwise the OP would have just used a zero character;
3) What other numbers are relevant to books - chapter numbers, to start...
4) Look up the chapters of these numbers in the relevant books;
5) GASP AS YOU SPOT THE CONNECTION!!