This is part 8 of the puzzle series that started at Living the traveller's dream. Each part is solvable on its own.
How have you been?. My trip is going really well. Even though you did not hear from me last week, I can assure you that I have been keeping busy as always. Please note that, in addition to normal cryptic clues, there are ten printer's devilry clues in this week's puzzle.
Each puzzle has five "thematic" answers, which are geographical locations all in the same country. Each is notable enough to have its own article in the English Wikipedia, although not necessarily under the same name I use. Your task is to fill the grid, highlight the thematic entries, and guess which country I am currently visiting (which is not indicated in the grid). Some of the answers will be needed in the final part of the series. Except for the last part, all others are solvable on their own without knowledge of the previous puzzles.
This week I have bathed in hot springs and hiked among stunning rock formations popular with climbers. I have made an exciting little tour to see the wineries of the region, watched penguins swimming in freezing cold water, and marvelled at natural landscapes that look like something from another planet. Can you guess where I am?
Wish you were here!
1. Alan's shortlisted for C. Turing at Cambridge (7)
5. Guy, or so it's said in France, makes butter (4)
11. Sip by entering email address (3)
12. Resume drinking hot mocha near old backstreet that's a great place to hike (7,6)
13. Fitting sound system by concert's end (3)
14. First name of author who wrote about angels & demons originally – the European (5)
17. Graceful African animal's heart turned green (7)
22. The director of the .com pans millions each year (5)
23. Inscriptions of angels losing head after eating pork (9)
25. A lab tutor lost key (9)
26. City lost Alcatraz prisoners (5)
28. Popular resort spot for fathers, each getting surprise in the end (4,3)
32. It can go backwards or forwards! (5)
35. Education institution's law enforcement officer in official attire (3)
36. All valued lean, strange and otherwordly landscape (5,2,2,4)
37/21d. Drug introduced, more than once, to Brazilian spirit dance (3-3-3)
38. Stank He, brother of Ollie from before their comedy career (4)
39. In retrospect, so glad I hesitated housing nobleman in Spain (7)
2. No football trophy brought up for City (5)
3. ROM and very little for early Christians (5)
4. They live in, I gast of Nuuk (5)
6. Harold and Virginia making dessert (5)
7. Type out of hand spanned grand land (5)
8/15. Southern city's spa/nature resort to incorporate new area (5,6)
9. America, having taken Cuban capital after revolution, finally launched missile (4)
10. A lion's talk in bra (4)
15. (See 8 down)
16. Iron Maiden's purpose or utter rubbish? (7)
18. The word spur prefer to overembellished writing (7)
19. Constrain one that's crazy (4)
20. A river once more rolling over, creating a group of large waterfalls (7)
21. (See 37 across)
24. At last, error found in terrible nickname for Anne Hathaway's husband (4)
27. Explorers were sent to ma, Art, Ed, Terri & Tory (5)
28. Temperamental entertainer on new couch (5)
29. Shining silver base (5)
30. The ails were sent out on Thursday (4)
31. Iran's shah backing one native of Tabriz, perhaps (5)
32. It's fine to climb in the manner of proficient climber (5)
33. Second person to be seen with two backers of Bing Crosby's bandmate (5)
34. Leader of thousand people in China (4)
Gladys will return in Enjoying the ride.