A student asked our teacher about her favorite type of dog during a distance learning meeting. She uploaded the image shown below, said it's our homework to figure that out, and left the call.
What's her favorite type of dog?
In case it's not obvious, the two-sentence "story" is made up.
Hint #0 I feel obligated to point out:
The image is smaller than originally intended. After being informed by Gareth that only smaller images will not get lossily compressed by i.stack.imgur, I had little problems making the image small enough while keeping the same final answer, which may tell you something about the nature of this puzzle.
Yet, I only realized just now, this makes a certain part in the puzzle useless. I don't think it should be too confusing, though. If anything, it's a little bit easier now.
- The symbol in the larger bottom square in the image does not represent the letter H
- What would you call the large bottom square and the little bottom square? Warning: Maybe keep some synonyms in mind.
Hint #2 (big):
- One pixel might sometimes represent a long string. How so?
- The red subpixel seems to give us characters from a very limited set. Any clues as to what this set is?
- Once you understand the basic structure, it should be clear that purely black pixels (i.e.
0,0,0) are to be ignored.
- After all pixels have correctly been parsed, you should have a very long string of characters. Look at exactly how long it is. Also think about the set again. We're not looking for a written-out novel as the answer after all...
Hint #3 (colossal):
Do the green subpixels seem useless, as they're always 0? That's because they are, read hint #0 again. Green would've been used for numbers that need more than one byte (lines below the big boxes)
So, red & blue subpixels. Red = Character. Blue = X. Read hint #2 again. The most simple thought regarding that is probably the correct one.
Does anything basic about the arrangement of the modified pixels stand out?
The bottom part of the blackboard image: Let's say we have 4^2. What is 4 here? What is 2 here? (keep in mind other terms for what 2 might be called there). The
|--|refers to something already covered in a previous hint. Maybe also look at the characters you get from red again while thinking about this.
When you solved the puzzle, you won't see a text stating her favorite dog breed, like e.g. "German Shepherd". You'll see something other than a text showing you what her favorite dog breed is.