(Every part of this question is part of the puzzle.) Only one clue to go!
The following are some CRYPTIC CLUES that all relate to a THEME. The first group of clues are only TANGENTIALLY related to the theme, so they can be solved BEFORE figuring out the theme, and might help REVEAL it.
- Muscles trick daughter into escape (7)
- Trump grand partner and actor (6,6)
- Sounds like fairy folk take flight to drink (5)
- Shaving cream is obstacle to back Land of Sons and Boys initially (8)
The next set of clues DIRECTLY relate to the theme. Furthermore, while it may be POSSIBLE to figure them out based on the WORDPLAY, the theme is all but required to be able to provide context for the DEFINITION. (Example, "Angel by canyon (3)" only really makes sense for "Pit" when you know the theme is "Kid Icarus".) You can TRY to decipher them WITHOUT the theme, or you can use the INFORMATION given to you to figure out the theme FIRST, which will make solving the clues a LOT easier.
What will you do?
- Comedy actor, last French, names evil dog (4,4)
- Hacker twins change footnote (6,6)
- Without you first, village is game (5)
- Author of article expressed inconvenience replacing Albert with you and I (6,6)
- First book with castle in mist creates a universe? (7,4)
- Seer got up to mingle. All done! (4, 7)
- Cowan, TN abandoned democratic society (3,4)
- Spider hazard in Virgina sounds like tour (6,6)
- "Little" puppet in software engineering starts with friends and plush dolls (10)
- Exile is futile, erroneously generated with no time (7,8)
- Arrange grill on shed; he's already here? (4,7)
- Raw material from ground tigers without energy (5)
- Average girl, vessel before monarch! (4,7)
Hint for 2.9:
GC: 1 S33 YOU C4NT F1GUR3 OUT NUMB3R N1N3 >:]
GC: BUT H3Y 1TS B33N FUN PL4Y1NG 4LONG, H4SNT 1T?
Hint #2 for 2.9:
The definition isn't the only thing related to the theme.
Hint #3 for 2.9:
When finding companions, it's important to weigh your options.